Over the years, its health benefits have become clearer as studies have progressed. With antioxidant properties and recognized as a good fat for human health, green olive oil is among the must-have foods for those seeking a healthy lifestyle and more quality of life.
Benefits of green olive oil
- Type 2 diabetes: A study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine revealed that a diet rich in extra virgin olive oil, whole grains, fish, fruits and vegetables is very important in the prevention of type 2 diabetes. Olive oil plays a fundamental role, as it is rich in monounsaturated fats.
- Obesity: Due to its high nutrient content, extra virgin olive oil helps prevent obesity, since the presence of monounsaturated fatty acids increases the feeling of satiety.
- Heart health: Rich in monounsaturated fats, consumption of extra virgin olive oil can reduce blood cholesterol and prevent other cardiovascular diseases. Studies indicate that the consumption of 25 milliliters of extra virgin olive oil per day, show a lower oxidation of LDL cholesterol and high levels of antioxidant compounds in the blood.
- Blood pressure: the healthy fats in extra virgin olive oil help reduce diastolic and systolic blood pressure. Three tablespoons daily are enough to reduce high blood pressure levels.
- Healthy bones: extra virgin olive oil helps prevent osteoporosis, as this food is rich in vitamin D, essential for fixing calcium in the bones. Olive oil also contains oleuropein, an anti-inflammatory substance that has the same effects as calcium.
- Skin: in addition to moisturizing, extra virgin olive oil is able to revitalize skin tissues, delaying aging and the appearance of wrinkles. This is because olive oil contains fatty acids, omega 3, vitamin E and essential amino acids that moisturize cells and help fight environmental stressors such as pollution. The anti-inflammatory properties also prevent the appearance of premature wrinkles, blemishes and other imperfections.
- Damaged hair: extra virgin olive oil also minimizes frizz, volume, split ends and helps prevent hair loss. As it has a natural composition, it is excellent for revitalizing strands damaged by chemical products due to its excellent moisturizing effect.
- Depression: studies indicate that food is directly related to emotions. The Mediterranean diet is the most appropriate, as it is nourished by fats and antioxidants present in extra virgin olive oil and in foods such as fish, whole grains, vegetables and oilseeds.
- Digestion: by providing a feeling of satiety, extra virgin olive oil facilitates digestion and the absorption of nutrients, including important fat-soluble vitamins.
- Colon cancer: extra virgin olive oil is rich in essential fatty acids, omega-6 and omega-3, which help prevent bowel cancer.
We have to keep in mind that the benefits of green olive oil can help us in all the points indicated above, but it will never be a direct treatment for these points.
More and more people are aware of the need to include green olive oil in their diet for health reasons.
The high level of antioxidants, and the fact that it is a “healthy” fat, make extra virgin olive oil a complete food when it comes to preventing numerous diseases.
Recently published studies have shown that people living in areas of the world where the gourmet olive oil is regularly used in their diet tend to be healthier compared to those living in areas where the olive oil is used regularly. Spanish olive oil is used only occasionally.